Are you using the Time Off/Time Tracking & Payroll Integrations?
If you are, be sure to read Step 1: Hours before jumping into this article.
If you're not familiar with Humi Payroll, check out our Payroll Overview article for an introduction. If you're ready to get started, keep on scrolling!
In this article, we'll go over recurring payroll. If you're looking to do a one-time payment on an off-cycle payroll, check out our Off-Cycle payroll article.
Important Notes Before Running Payroll
- Ensure bank accounts, tax credits, compensations, and terminations are set up correctly for all employees
- Ensure benefits and deductions and income types are set up correctly for all employees
- Check that the payroll period’s dates are accurate
- The typical deadline for running payroll is four business days before the payroll’s pay date, before 4:30 pm EST.
(Note: We also have three-day processing, please reach out to support for this option.)
How to Edit Payroll
- Click "Payroll" on the left menu and then click into the payroll period. Since you run payroll each period, there should only be one line there.
If you see more than one payroll line, this means you missed a payroll period and should contact support immediately.
- From here, the "Edit Payroll" page, you can review the payroll and make any adjustments needed to any employee's pay.
- Once you've made all necessary adjustments, click "Next" to move on to the next step.
How to find an employee
There are a few ways to quickly find the person you need in "Edit Payroll:"
- The search box.
- Reorder the employee list by clicking on the arrow beside the "Employee" column. This will sort the list by alphabetical order.
- Use a filter by clicking on the funnel icon and selecting the criteria to quickly find the employee you need.
There are many fields you can adjust on the "Edit Payroll" page. Scroll down or use the links below to find out more about each payroll field.
- Salaried Employees
- How to manually enter employee hours
- How to upload employee hours
Add Extra Pay
- Commission Pay
- Bonus Pay
- Other Pay
- Add a Reimbursement
- Confirm the payment method
When you're on the "Edit Payroll" page, in the "Compensation" column, you'll see each employee’s earnings for the payroll period.
For salaried employees, the salary amount will be pre-populated. This amount is calculated based on the annual salary amount divided by the number of payroll periods.
If you have hourly employees, their "hours worked" must be entered into the system each payroll
There are two ways to enter hours for your hourly employees, you can:
- Enter the information manually
- Upload the information through a template
How to manually enter employee hours
Entering hours manually is a pretty straightforward process. For each applicable employee, enter their hours worked in the compensation field with "Hourly" above it.
The hourly rate of pay is populated based on the compensation you've set up on the employee’s profile.
Overtime: If you need to enter any overtime hours, simply select the "+ Overtime" link highlighted in green. A new input field will show up and it will calculate any hours inputted here as 1.5x the regular hourly rate.
How to upload employee hours
In the top right corner, click the "Download Hours Template" link.
- Fill in the template with the employee hours worked and save it.
Only regular and overtime hours can be entered in this CSV file.
- In Humi, select the "Upload hours" button on the top right corner, and select the file that
you just saved.
- Click "Next."
Vacation pay will automatically be calculated based on the hours entered, and the percentage set up on the employee profile when you set up the Time Off type.
Add Extra Pay
If you need to pay your employees above their regular earnings, you can do so in the "Extra Pay" column.
You can enter any amount in this field.
There are two types of bonuses, "Work-Related" or "Discretionary." If you are paying a bonus, you must choose the correct bonus type. Learn more about bonus types here.
For any payments outside of commissions or bonuses, you can use the "+ Other Income" field to add these to your payroll.
If you have hourly employees, we strongly advise you to add these "insurable hours" income types to your payroll to ensure these hours are generated correctly on their ROEs.
To use the "+ Other Income" field, the required income type(s) must be added to your payroll. Learn how to add income types here.
If you haven't set up income types, when you click the "Other Income" button, you will get this pop-up on your screen.
You can click the "Set up Income types" button to be directed to the Income Types page. Learn about setting up Income types here.
Add a Reimbursement
A reimbursement is a non-taxable amount that is used to repay an employee for an expense they incurred.
The employee's gross pay will not increase if you add a reimbursement and reimbursement will show up as a separate line item on the employee’s pay stub.
If an employee gets a raise or has any type of compensation change during the payroll cycle, their salary will be automatically prorated. Find out more about how Humi prorates pay here.
Confirm the payment method
If you want to pay your employees through direct deposit, their banking information must be set up correctly. The default method of payment is through direct deposit, however, you can pay by cheque if you would like to.
Humi will keep the amounts paid by cheque as records, but the payments will not be processed through Humi Payroll.
Finish editing Payroll
Once you've completed all payroll editing, click the "Next" button on the bottom right.
You'll be taken to the next page to Review Payroll. This is the stage where Humi Payroll will calculate deduction amounts such as CPP, EI, and income tax.
All amounts within the payroll will also become temporarily locked in to prevent changes in employees’ compensations or benefits or other admin’s conflicting edits from affecting the current payroll.