Suppose you're one of the many companies that occasionally work with independent contractors or consultants. In that case, you may be wondering how to give them access to specific modules in Humi without adding them as an employee in Humi payroll.
Some examples could be working with a recruiting firm to help with your hiring efforts, with an accountant who requires access to payroll records & reports, or with contractors for specific projects.
If you're working with a consultant or independent contractor, the dropdowns below provide a step-by-step guide on how to add them to Humi.
How to add independent contractors or consultants to Humi
Before adding the consultant to Humi, you should have a custom role available with limited access the consultant will require.
If you don't have the custom role created, click here to learn how to create a custom role.
Example: Adding a custom role for a Recruiter
If you're working with a recruiter who should only have access to the "Recruiting" module, you should create a custom role that only has access to "Recruiting."
To do this, follow these steps:
- In Settings, go to Roles & Permissions and click the "+ Create Custom Role" button
- Select "Create custom role from scratch"
- Enter a name and description for the custom role and hit "Save"
- In Step 1. Module Access, click the arrow to open the "Navigation" dropdown and switch on the "Administrator view"
- Scroll down to "Recruiting" and click the arrow to reveal "Recruiting Access"
- Click on both switches to activate them
- In Step 2. Permission Levels, click on the "Can access information for" field in the top right corner
- Click the dropdown and select "All employees"
- Click "Complete," and your new role will be added to Humi!
Your custom role for the recruiting consultant has been created, and you can now move on to Step 2!
If you want the consultant to have "Read-Only" access, do not switch on "Administrator View."
If the consultant doesn't have a Humi account yet, you'll need to add them as an employee so that you can assign them their custom role. Learn how to add an employee to Humi.
Important note: Do not sync to Humi Payroll
When you add the consultant as an employee in Humi, DO NOT switch on the Humi Payroll switch if you don't intend to pay them through Humi Payroll. Only employees paid through Humi Payroll can be added to Payroll reports.
When adding the consultant to Humi, on the third step, "Onboarding," remove the "Employee" role and click the "+ Add" button to select the custom role you created for them, as shown below:
The consultant will still need to complete the onboarding process. At this time, you can't bypass any of the mandatory fields. Instead, they can enter anything that meets the requirements of these fields, such as using 123456789 as their SIN, entering a fictitious address, etc.
That's it! You're ready to add contractors or consultants to Humi whenever you need to. Use the links below to learn more about what you can do with the People module.