The second tab in "Settings" is "Roles & Permissions." This is where you can view Humi's default roles, create custom roles, view an employee's assigned roles, and assign additional roles or remove additional roles.
This article will explain the three default roles in Humi and how to view their set permissions:
- Admin - has unrestricted access to all modules and all employee information
- Manager - has less access than admins but can access the information of their direct reports
- Employee - has very limited access and can only access their own information
These default roles have set permissions that can't be edited or changed. Because default roles cannot be changed, if you want different permissions, you must create a custom role with the required permissions.
For example, changing manager permission settings so they can't see their direct report's salaries or edit any of their employee's personal information. You can edit the permissions of an existing default role or create a new one from scratch. Learn how to create custom roles.
How to toggle between roles
By default, everyone should have the "Employee" role. This means all managers and admins should have an "employee" role in addition to their "manager" or "admin" role. You can toggle between roles using the dropdown arrow beside your name, hover over "Roles," and select the role you need.
If an employee doesn't have the employee role, it should be added to their profile. The only time this would happen is if they were uploaded to Humi with the "Admin" or "Manager" role during implementation and thus never assigned the employee role.
What information can the default roles access?
As mentioned earlier, each default role has different permissions. To see the exact information each default role has access to follow these steps:
- Click on the name of the default role, and Humi will direct you to the "Role details" page.
- Click the "View Permissions" button.
- On the first page, Module Access, you'll be able to see which modules this default role has access to. Click on the dropdown arrow on each module to see specific permission details for each module. When you're done, click "Next."
- On the second page, Permission levels, you'll see who's information the default role has access to in the top right corner.
In the screenshot below, you can see the permission levels for the "Manager" default role. You can click on each tab to see the specific information managers can access for their direct reports.
Icon LegendEach line has one highlighted icon in a light green colour, which represents the action the manager can take.
- The lock symbol means they don't have access to that information.
- The eye symbol means they can only view the information
- The pencil icon means they can edit the information.
The default admin role has full access to all product modules and can view, add, and edit employee information. Click on each tab to view the specific permissions for each.
Employees with the default manager role have access to employee information for their direct reports, including most modules such as People, Time Off, Performance, Benefits, and Training.
Just a reminder, if you don't want managers to access certain employee information, such as their salaries, you can create a custom role and remove that permission.
The default employee role allows limited access to Humi. Most of your employees will only be assigned this role and can only access information for themselves. They can view and edit their personal information, such as emergency contacts, banking information, documents, etc. but have limited viewing access to other modules.