They say nothing lasts forever, and in this case, an employee's time at your company has sadly come to an end. If you want to learn how to terminate an employee in Humi, you're in the right place.
You can quickly terminate, delete, and rehire employees from the employee profile.
Only admins or employees who have been assigned a custom role with this permission can do this.
How to terminate an employee
In People, under the Directory tab, use the search bar to find the employee you need to terminate.
- Click on their name, and Humi will direct you to their employee profile.
- In the top right corner, click on the three dots and select Terminate from the dropdown.
How to Fill in the Termination Details
There are three steps in the Termination Flow. Use the tabs below to learn about the options in each step.
In Step One of the Termination Flow, you'll need to fill in three pieces of important information.
- The Last Day of Work
- The date you choose as the employee's last day of work is essential because, after that date, the employee will lose access to Humi. Please remind the employee to download any paystubs they require from their Humi account before that date if your company uses Humi Payroll.
The termination date will also affect payroll because the terminated employee will be removed from the payroll after their last day of work. It should be noted that if an employee's last day of work falls in the middle of a pay period, they will be paid on a prorated basis for that pay period. They will be removed from the payroll during the next pay period.
- The Termination Type
- The Termination Type corresponds to the Reasons for Termination with Service Canada and directly impacts the employee's ROE. Please carefully review the options available in the dropdown and select the one that most closely matches the termination type.
- A Reason
- This is for internal knowledge in Humi, so your admin team understands the details of the termination.
Offboarding tasks and reminders must be created prior to terminating the employee. If you haven't created offboarding tasks, check out this support article to learn how.
When you complete the termination, the reminders will be active, triggering you to send out emails based on the timelines that have been set.
In Step Three of the Termination Flow, you'll be given a chance to double-check the termination details you've entered and review the Termination Procedure.
Once you've confirmed everything is correct, click the Complete button.
ROEs and Humi Payroll
If the employee you terminate is enrolled in Humi payroll, a prompt to complete a Record of Employment (ROE) will appear. If the employee's final payroll payment hasn't been made yet, click Remind me to do this later.
How to find a terminated Employee's Profile
If an employee is terminated and you want to find their profile, follow the steps below:
- Head to People and have a look at the Directory tab.
- In the Status column, click the Filter Icon and select the Terminated checkbox.
- This will bring up all employees who are listed as Terminated in Humi.