If you're new to Performance Review Templates, this article will teach you everything you need to know! If you've ever created a survey template, you're in luck because the process is almost exactly the same.
What's a Performance Review Template?
Performance Review Templates are used to determine the questions that will be answered when you send out a review. By using a template, you're able to create one set of questions that can be answered by any number of employees, managers, and staff members.
Typically, there will be a few templates created for different types of reviews. For example, you may create one for semi-annual reviews, one for annual reviews, and a separate one for upward reviews.
By default, admins are the only people with permission to create templates except for custom roles with access to manage templates.
All Reviews Require a Template
You'll need to create the Performance Review Template before you can send a performance review to your employees.
One of the best ways to learn is by doing.
Our interactive demos walk you through exactly where to go and what to click in Humi.
How to Create a Performance Review Template
- In Performance, head to the Templates tab and then click the + Create Template button in the top right corner.
- Add the Template Name and Description, then click Save.
Choose a Relevant Name
The name and the description will appear in the Template Directory. If you want to find a specific template, you can easily search for any keyword in the title or description to find the template you need.
You'll be automatically directed to the Template Details Page.
Next, you'll need to add your performance review questions.
Click Edit in the top-right corner of the Template Questions section to open up the Template Builder.
Understanding the 5 Different Types of Questions
|How it works
|Participants can type in their responses to the question.
|Participants can select a star rating to answer the question.
|Agree / Disagree
|Participants will select how much they agree with the statement on a 5-point scale ranging from "Strongly Disagree" to "Strongly Agree."
|True / False
|Participants will select whether the statement is true or false to them.
|You can add several options for participants to choose from. They can only select one answer.
How to Add Questions to a Review
Adding questions to your Review Template is super easy in the Template Builder. Drag and drop, rearrange, customize, and more! Keep reading to learn how.
- Select the question type you want to add from the toolkit on the left, then drag and drop it onto the template on the right.
- Type your question in the field that says, Type your question here.
- You can reorganize the order of the questions by dragging and dropping them to the location you prefer.
- To make a question optional, check off the Optional Question box in the lower-left corner of the question.
- To duplicate a question, click the little Duplicate icon in the top-right corner of the question.
- To delete a question, click the little Garbage Can icon in the top-right corner of the question.
- Once you've added all the questions you need, click Save Template.
Adding Longer Questions
If you have a long-form question, you can add a new line in to format it for better readability. Simply move the text cursor where you want the new line to begin, and press the shift + enter key in combination to create a new line. Then, continue writing as normal.
How to Edit Questions on a Review Template
Once you've added questions to your Review Template, you'll be able to edit them from the Template Details Page.
- To get started, head to Performance and click on the Templates tab.
- Select the Template you'd like to update
- You'll see the number of questions you added in the Template Questions section.
- Before sending the performance review, you can continue to add or remove survey questions by clicking Edit in the top-right corner.
That's it! Your performance review template is created and can be used when setting up your performance reviews.