After reviewing Humi's default roles, you may discover that they have either too many or too few permissions. For example, the default manager role has access to their direct reports' birthdays, compensation, and bank details, but perhaps you want to hide this personal information from managers.
If this is the case, you can create a custom role where you'll have complete control over the permission levels and the ability to customize the role based on your needs.
How to create a "Custom Role"
- In "Settings," under the "Role & Permissions" tab, click the "+ Create Custom Role" button.
- In this pop-up, you can select one of the default roles (Admin, Manager or Employee), which will copy the permissions from those default roles to the new custom role you're creating. This can help you save time because you can just add or remove the existing permissions for the role instead of starting completely from scratch.
Alternatively, if you don't need any of the existing permissions, you can select "create a role from scratch," which will allow you to build a role from a blank slate.
- Once you've determined the type of role, click "Save."
- Enter the role name and description in the pop-up. The name you enter here will be the role name assigned to the employee, and the description is to help you quickly identify what this role entails. Once completed, click "Save."
- Humi will direct you to the "Edit Role" page, where you can select the modules that you want this custom role to have access to. To add or remove a module, click on the switch and it will turn green (on) or grey (off). Click on the dropdown arrow for the module to see all the specific options for each module.
If you would like this custom role to have "Admin" access, toggle on the "Administrator View" switch under the first line, "Navigation." Typically this is only used for custom roles created for independent contractors or consultants who need complete access to specific modules.
Once you've completed this step, click the "Next" button.
- On the next page, you can set the "Permission Levels" for this role. These permission levels control the employee data this custom role can access.
- To quickly change the permission for all lines, select "No access, view only, or can edit" from the "Set all fields to" dropdown to change all of the permissions to the same setting.
- You can change the permissions by clicking on the icons for each individual line, as seen in the example above.
- Click on each tab on the top to set the permissions for each one.
- Click on the "lock" icon to set the permission as "No Access."
- Click on the "eye" icon to set the permission as "View Only."
- Click on the "pen" icon to set the permission as "Edit," which means the person with this role will be able to make edits.
- In the top right corner, you'll see "Can access information for Direct reports - click the arrow to set this to another option if needed. The choices are: All employees, Direct Reports, Only Self or Direct and Indirect reports
- When you've set all permissions, click the "Complete" button in the bottom right corner.
- The custom role is created, and it's time to assign it to the employee. To do this, click on the "Employee" tab, then the "+ Assign Employees" button and select the employees you want to assign this new custom role.
- Once the employees are assigned this role, they can toggle their assigned roles by clicking on the arrow next to their name, hovering over "Roles," and clicking on the role they need.
Under their name, Humi will display the role they're logged in as so they can easily recognize the permissions they'll have access to. In the "Employee" role, they'll have very limited access and will need to toggle into their new role for extended access.