After setting up a time off "type," you can add multiple time off "policies" to it.
For example, you can create a time off type for "Vacation." Your company may have several vacation policies that vary based on the length of time the employee has worked there, such as a:
- 10-day standard vacation policy for all new employees
- 15-day vacation policy for employees working 2+ years
- 20-day vacation policy for employees working 5+ years
Instead of adding a new time off "type" for each of these vacation policies, you should create a time off "policy" for each within the "Vacation" time off "type."
How to set up a time off "Policy"
- In Time Off, click on the Types & Policies tab
- Find the Time Off type that you want to add the policy to and click the + Create Policy button
- Fill in each of the fields and then click Save
Policy Name – Add a descriptive name for the time off policy.
Only admins can see the policy name. Employees will see the name of the time off "type," but not the policy name.
Time Off Type – Select the time off "type" that this "policy" is for.
You can have multiple time off "policies" under each time off "type."
Approval Flow – Select the approval flow for this policy.
The "approval flow" must be configured before creating the time off "policy." Learn how to set up an approval flow here.
Accrual Setting – Select if this policy is unlimited or accrues. Choose "Unlimited" if employees can take as much time off as they want. Otherwise, choose "Accrues" to set up an accrual schedule.
Accrual Frequency – Select the frequency that your employee should accrue this time off. You can select from the dropdown menu including daily, weekly, semi-monthly or biweekly, monthly, quarterly, or annually.
We strongly advise that you sync your time off accruals with your payroll cadence, especially if you intend to use Humi Payroll to take advantage of the powerful integration and automation with Time Off.
Days/Hours Accrued Per Year – Select the maximum number of days the employee can accrue. For example, most provinces have a legal minimum of 10 days/year for vacation policies, but please review your government website to confirm the law in your region.
First Day of Period – The options are dynamic based on what you selected for the "Accrual Frequency."
Accruals Happen On – Select when the accruals are granted.
- First Day of Period: Employees will earn the whole week's accrual up-front on Monday.
- Last Day of Period: Employees will earn the whole week's accrual on Sundays, which is the last day of the period.
- First Day of Next Period – Employees will earn the whole week's accrual after working the entire week, which is Monday of the following week.
With that, you're done! If you want to add "Advanced Settings," check out this article for more information on how to set them up.