Approval Flows are used to identify the appropriate person to be notified and approve employee Time Off requests. Approval flows must be created before setting up Time Off policies because you'll need to select the correct approval flow when setting up the Time Off policy.
Note: If desired, you can have a different approval flow for each Time Off policy.
This article will explain how to create approval flows and assign approval flows to Time Off policies in Humi.
How to create "Approval Flows"
- In "Time Off," click on the "Settings" tab.
- Scroll down to the "Approval Flows" section and click the "+ Create Approval Flow" button.
- Enter a name for the approval flow in the pop-up, then click "Save." This should be a clear description of the approval flow, for example, "Manager Approval, Team Lead Approval, Manager and Team Lead approval etc."
- Humi will direct you to the "Edit Approval Flow" page, where you can configure the approval flow.
- In the "Overall Settings" section, you can adjust the approval flow name if you need to. Below the name field, there is the "automatic approval" switch. If you want the employee's request to be approved automatically, you can switch this on. Otherwise, keep this switch turned off.
- In the "Approval Steps" section, you will select the person to approve the time off requests.
Click on the dropdown menu to select the person to approve the requests.
You can add up to four steps in the approval flow and can select from the following options:
- Manager (of the requestor)
- Manager's manager (of the requestor)
- Admin (all and any admins)
- Specific Person
Multi-step Approval Flows
You can add multiple steps to the approval flow by clicking on the "Add Level +" link.
For example, if you want a two-step approval flow, for Step 1, you can select "Manager," then click the "Add Level +" link and select "Manager's Manager" for Step 2.
In this example, when the employee requests time off, their manager will receive the time off request first and once approved, Humi will send the request to the second approver (the manager's manager) for the final decision.
Alternatively, you can select "Specific Person" if one specific person is responsible for approving time off requests.
- Finally, in the "Notifications Upon Approval" section, you can select who should be notified when a time off request is approved. Anyone selected here won't be required to approve or deny requests but will only be notified of the request approval once it's finalized.
- When you're done, click "Save."
Assign the "Approval Flow"
After you've created the approval flow, it will appear in the "Approval Flows" section.
- To assign it, click the three dots next to it, and select "Assign Flow."
- In the "Assign Approval Flow" pop-up, select the Time Off policies you want to add this approval flow to.
You can select multiple policies by clicking on each one on the list as shown below:
If the approval flow is already assigned to a policy, you won't be able to select it, and it will be "greyed out."
- When you've added all the policies needed, click "Assign."
You've done it! You've officially set up and assigned your first approval flow. If you want to create more approval flows, follow the steps above.
Sometimes if an approver is unable to approve a time off request so you can set up a "Backup Approver" to avoid any confusion and prevent all admins from getting the time off request when a designated approver is unavailable. Click here to learn how to set up a "Backup Approver."